Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Industrial

I got my industrial piercing last Friday as a gift from mum and dad :)

It was one of the least painful of my piercings to actually get pierced, but the healing process is fairly painful. They take a good six months to a year to completely heal but I hope I can sleep on it sometime soon! There was a Facebook promotion where I got the piercing and the jewellery for only $30 down from $109, massive savings and totally worth it.

I have seen so many piercings get completely infected and really horrible, and I can't help but think it's because people don't take care of them properly or they have gone to a dodgy piercing place. I have several piercings and none of them have been infected. My advice would be to do your homework and make sure you get your piercing done at a place with a good reputation and always follow aftercare instructions. Also, if you are allergic to the metal used for piercings, it's simple - don't get it done.

Simple aftercare instructions:

1. Use the aftercare spray provided by your piercer and use twice daily for the first 2-3 weeks, and once a day each week after.
2. A spray which is high in alcohol will need to be thoroughly rinsed off after three minutes, however if it is a salt water spray you do not need to do this.
3. Avoid touching your piercing throughout the day, only in the shower for rotation (you can also use this time to clean it up and remove any crusty bits).
4. All piercings take different times to heal, but until it is fully healed I would recommend keeping up with the aftercare to avoid infection.
5. When getting your jewellery changed for the first time I would recommend going back to where you got it pierced, this way you can get the piece sterilized and put in by a professional, also they will be able to advise you whether it's okay to change the jewellery at this stage.
6. If you have a bad infection, bleeding, pus, or anything that doesn't seem quite right take the jewellery out and consult a doctor.

So just to keep count of my piercings thus far:

Three in each ear lobe
Labret
Belly button
Tragus
Nipple
Industrial

...eleven! Perhaps I should focus on a tattoo next and lay off the metal. I love them all though and don't regret a single one.



No comments:

Post a Comment