Today my order from Strawberrynet.com arrived.
I thought I would give a couple of my beauty recomendations.
HAIR
- I use Herbal Essences (colour me happy) shampoo and conditioner. It is around $6 a bottle and not only does it smell beautiful it helps coloured hair look healthy and the colour last longer. I have heard good reports on all of the Herbal Essences range. Finding the perfect shampoo and conditioner isn't about how much you spend, it is about finding the one that works best for you.
- I have just started using Tigi hair treatments. I use Ego boost leave in conditioner and split end treatment, Bed head after party smoothing cream and fashionista smooth and shine/heat resistant cream. They are between $20 - $30 each, but I can't believe how much of a difference they have made after just a couple of uses. Always use a heat resistant cream if you blow dry or straighten your hair.
- I also use ChiChi shimmer hair/body spray. They come in five different fragrances and the main use is to make your hair smell divine. You could use it straight after a shower or even at the end of a long day to make your hair smell fresh again.
- I regularly colour my hair black. I don't have a particular favourite, I think it's all about trial and error. The only thing I can say is always pick a colour with a cream as opposed to one with liquid, I find it is much more gentle on your hair. Also if you have the time, learn how to mix your colour in a bowl, separate your hair properly and use a pallete brush to colour your roots. I also say when you are washing the colour out after the recommended time, if the water doesn't run clear after five minutes, use a little bit of shampoo to get the excess out, the conditioner will work better this way and there is nothing worse than crunchy hair.
FACE
- When it comes to washing your face I do believe products that are a bit more expensive will be better for people with problem skin. But if you are like me and rarely get pimples or blemishes I think products in your supermarket or priceline will be just fine. I use Clean and Clear facial scrub, toner and then moisturiser. Once again I think finding the right product is about trial and error and figuring out what you expect from the product itself.
- When I wash my face I use warm water, as it helps to open up the pores. If you are not using toner, I would recommend splashing your face with cold water after washing to close the pores back up.
- When you buy your product make sure you follow the instructions. Buy a cleanser/scrub, toner and moisturiser that is for everyday use. And if you feel you need it, buy a weekly deep cleansing scrub. Only use weekly cleansers once a week because they can damage your skin if used everyday.
MAKE UP
- When it comes to liquid foundation choosing the perfect one for your skin tone and type is very important. Many of the more expensive brands are amazing. However if you are like me and are a little strapped for cash, cheaper brands can be wonderful as well. When it comes to skin tone, search the products for one that is as close to your natural colour as possible, even mix two colours if you need to, there is nothing worse than a lighter/darker face compared to the rest of your body. When it comes to your skin type think about what kind of coverage you desire. If you have flawless skin you can use one that has light coverage or even a tinted moisturiser. If you have blemishes or any other imperfections you can choose a medium to high coverage. Test which foundations work for you. Find one that doesn't 'cake'. I use a foundation brush to apply my foundation and then the tips of my fingers to do the final blending. Lastly, always make sure you blend the colour past the jaw line and down your neck... this makes for a flawless finish.
- After using foundation a little powder works a treat. I recommend you use the matching powder to your foundation (same brand and same colour). This helps seal the foundation in,blend the colour and get rid of the shine for a matte finish. You can also buy sheer powder, which has very little colour if you do not want to ruin the colour of your foundation, or have done deliberate blending with other colours, to define the contours of your face.
- I love blush. The colour is up to you, lighter shades for summer and darker for winter or find one that you just adore all year around. I personally have a very 'soft' face, meaning my bone structure is not as definied as some. Blush helps to create a false, but definite cheek bone. I would recommend you use a blush brush in a size that suits the shape of your face. Learning how to use blush is very important, the big red circles on your cheeks should only ever appear on a stage.
- If I could only have one make up product I would choose mascara. Mascara helps to open your eyes and will often help you look fresh and awake. There are mascara's to lengthen, thicken and separate. It is up to you what you want out of your mascara. I still believe that one of the best is Maybelline full lash mascara, and many make up artists swear by it to this very day. However, find one with a brush that you can work with, a colour and a consistancy you like. During summer I would definitely recommend a waterproof mascara as the heat can make it run... giving you panda eyes, which is not attractive.
- I think eyeshadow is a very personal thing. there are a million and one shades out there and I think you should work with whatever colours you like. I personally prefer to keep mine very natural. However finding colours that compliment your eyes can be very benificial and make your eyes just pop. The best thing you can do is learn how to use eyeshadow for your specific eye shape. Shading, blending and contouring is very important. Also eye shimmers in light colours are quick to apply and can give a little bit of sparkle when you are in a hurry.
- The eyebrows frame your face. Keep them tidy, by either plucking or waxing. It is completely up to you whether you like them thick or thin, just keep them shaped.
- Lipstick, lip tints, lip stains and lip gloss can finish a great face. I do believe if you have full colour on your lips, you should go natural and low key with your eyes and vice versa. A clear gloss is great for a little everyday shine. Lip tints can be great for a little light colour. Lip stains actually stain your lips in a colour, so make sure you like the colour before applying. Lipsticks are very versatile and give you block colour. Whatever it is you are using choose your colour wisely. I personally am a gloss or tint girl, I try to keep my whole face as natural as possible (even if I have put a lot of work into getting it to look 'natural')
- Make up brushes are essential to applying make up perfectly. I would invest in some good quality make up brushes, and wash them regularly. The three most important are: foundation, blush and eyeshadow/eyeliner (which you may need up to three different kinds). Learn how to use them because they will be very important tools.
- Remeber practice makes perfect when it comes to applying make up. Don't be afraid to try new things or of the make up itself. Find products you like and never follow trends just because it's what everyone is doing. The trends do not suit everyone, so discover what works best on you and what makes you feel beautiful.
- Removing your make up is essential for your skin. Let your skin breathe at least during the night. Also if you don't remove it you will just be applying over the last layer, which causes caking and can look very clumsy. Even if it looks like it has 'worn off' use make up remover to get the final traces off, you don't want to clog your pores. Removing your make up especially around your eyes is important, you don't want your mascara to clump on your lashes and make them brittle or for your eyeliner, mascara or eyeshadow to find it's way into your eyes during the night.
Well this is it. These are my recommendations and they work for me. I hope you had fun reading and maybe discovering a couple of new things. If you have any beauty tips you wish to share feel free to leave a comment.

What a wonderful and informative post Jade. I really enjoyed reading it (and am happy to see that you did indeed listen to me when I taught you how to use makeup many years ago ha ha ha). You should see if any online beauty magazines are interested in articles like this. They may even pay you! You write very well girl. Just one question...when are you going to make that darn font bigger LOL I have to zoom in twice so I can read it ;P Love you my girl. xxx Mama xxxx
ReplyDelete